How do I file for my prior year 2290?
3.1k views |
Last modified 5/10/2022 6:42:24 AM EST
You can file Form 2290 for prior tax years using ExpressTruckTax. ExpressTruckTax is the #1 IRS authorized e-file provider. We support Form 2290 for the current tax year and two prior tax years. You can now file Form 2290 for the tax years 2020-2021, 2021-2022, and 2022-2023.
A typical trucking tax year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the subsequent year. You must file Form 2290 within the last day of the month following the First Used Month (FUM) of your vehicle to avoid penalties. First Used Month (FUM) is the month during which you operate your vehicle for the first time on the public highways in a tax year.
Since most truckers operate their vehicle from the beginning of the tax year, the deadline to file Form 2290 is August 31.
If you are filing Form 2290 for a prior year, you might be subjected to penalties. You cannot pay your penalty dues while filing Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax. You will receive a penalty notice from the IRS stating the penalty amount and how to pay it after the IRS accepts your late filing.
Here's how you can file Form 2290 for a prior tax year:
- Log in to your ExpressTruckTax account.
- Click on "Start New Return" and choose whether you are filing for a single vehicle or multiple vehicles.
- You can now choose the prior tax year by clicking on the "Tax Year" dropdown.
- Select your correct First Used Month.
- Provide the required vehicle information and choose your IRS payment method.
- Follow the prompts and transmit your return to the IRS.
If you have any questions regarding your heavy highway use tax or the Form 2290 filing process ExpressTruckTax is available with 100% US-based support by phone, email, and live chat. We also offer bilingual support in both English and Spanish.