How do I claim a refund for a payment that was done for the wrong year when filing Form 2290?
2.7k views | Last modified 5/11/2022 2:47:07 AM EST

Applicable To
Form 2290 Form 8849 Amendments

If you had filed your Form 2290 for the wrong tax year and paid the HVUT, the tax paid can be claimed as a refund by filing a Form 8849 Schedule 6. You must add your vehicle under "Overpayment of Taxes" to claim the credit for the HVUT paid on this vehicle.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File Your Form 2290 Online & Get Schedule 1 in minutes

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 234-6005