I filed my Form 2290 with the wrong EIN. What should I do?
1.9k views | Last modified 5/11/2022 7:04:49 AM EST

Applicable To
Form 2290 Form 8849 Amendments

If you had transmitted your Form 2290 to the IRS, you cannot change any information in the submitted return. If you had made any typographical errors in your EIN while filing your Form 2290, the IRS would reject your return. You can then retransmit the return with the correct EIN.

If you handle multiple businesses and use the EIN of one business for a different business by mistake, the IRS might not reject the return. In that case, you must file a new return for the same business with the correct EIN. You can file Form 8849 and add your vehicle under "Overpayment of Taxes," to claim the refund for the erroneously filed return.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File Your Form 2290 Online & Get Schedule 1 in minutes

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 234-6005 support@expresstrucktax.com