I traded in my old truck for a new model. Can I transfer my road tax 2290?
5.0k views | Last modified 6/8/2023 1:40:00 AM EST | Added by ExpressTruckTax Team

Applicable To
Form 2290 Form 8849 Amendments

The IRS requires truckers to file Form 2290 for every heavy taxable vehicle. If you trade your old truck for a new truck, you must file Form 2290 for the new truck and pay the required HVUT. 

However, if you had paid the HVUT for your old truck, you can claim a refund on the HVUT paid. The refund amount will be considered as credits and will be deducted from the total tax amount while paying your HVUT for the next tax year.

Here's how you can pay HVUT for a new vehicle using sold vehicle credits:

1. Log in to your ExpressTruckTax account.
2. On the dashboard, click "E-File for Multiple Vehicles" under "Start New Return".
3. Choose the appropriate tax year and First Used Month details.
3. Add your new truck under "taxable vehicles" and provide the required vehicle information.
4. Add your old truck under "Sold/Destroyed Credits" and provide the necessary vehicle information.
5. The adjusted HVUT amount after the deduction of credits from the total tax will be calculated.
6. Review the Summary of your return and transmit it to the IRS.

If the credit amount is higher than the HVUT, the excess credit amount can be claimed using Form 8849, which will be generated automatically by ExpressTruckTax in these cases.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File Your Form 2290 Online & Get Schedule 1 in minutes

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 234-6005 support@expresstrucktax.com