What information should I provide to claim credits for a sold vehicle?
2.0k views | Last modified 6/7/2023 7:16:45 AM EST | Added by ExpressTruckTax Team

Applicable To
Form 2290 Form 8849 Amendments

If you had filed your Form 2290 return and paid the HVUT for a vehicle and sold the vehicle before the end of the tax year, you can claim a refund of the HVUT paid for the vehicle. You can either file a Form 8849 return and receive a refund, or you can use the HVUT paid as a credit while paying HVUT for your Form 2290 the following tax year.

If you are claiming credits for a sold vehicle, you must provide the following information:

  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the truck.
  • Taxable Gross Weight of the truck.
  • The first Used Month and tax year were reported while filing Form 2290 for the vehicle.
  • Choose whether the vehicle was used for logging.
  • Details (Name and Address) about the vehicle buyer.

You are also required to provide the date on which the vehicle was sold, along with an explanation as to why you sold the vehicle.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File Your Form 2290 Online & Get Schedule 1 in minutes

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 234-6005 support@expresstrucktax.com