What do I need to get started to e-file 2290?
7.5k views |
Last modified 8/7/2021 1:37:26 AM EST
Form 2290 is an annual tax return filed by owners/drivers of heavy motor vehicles to calculate and pay the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). There are two different methods to file your Form 2290.
- Paper filing
The IRS suggests the filers to e-file their Form 2290, as it is processed quickly. It will take up to 4-6 weeks for you to receive your stamped Schedule 1 if you decide to paper file your Form 2290, whereas you will get your Schedule 1 in minutes if you e-file your return. However, if you are filing for more than 24 vehicles, the IRS mandates you to e-file your return.
You need to have the following information to e-file your Form 2290 without any hassle.
Information required to e-file Form 2290:
For a quick and smooth experience, please have the below details handy before you begin to e-file your Form 2290 in ExpressTruckTax:
- Business's Employee Identification Number (EIN) - Employer Identification Number (EIN) is an identification number issued by the IRS to every business to keep track of their business reports. It is mandatory for you to have an EIN to file Form 2290.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of vehicles - Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a 17 digit unique identification sequence issued to every vehicle. The VIN can be found on the vehicle or the registration and title documents. VIN is a distinct code offered to every vehicle, so two different vehicles cannot have the same VIN.
- Taxable Gross Weight of vehicles to choose appropriate categories - The taxable gross weight of a vehicle is the sum of the actual unloaded weight of a fully equipped vehicle, the actual unloaded weight of any trailers or semi-trailers that are fully equipped, and the maximum load usually carried by the vehicle.
- Payment Options to pay HVUT - You can pay the 2290 HVUT using any of the following payment methods:
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Check or Money Order
- Debit or Credit Card