Do I have to pay penalties if I file an amended for mileage exceeded?
1.2k views | Last modified 6/8/2023 5:12:35 AM EST

Applicable To
Form 2290 Form 8849 Amendments

No, there won't be any penalties or interest for filing an amendment to your Form 2290 return. But you will be subjected to taxes if you file an amended return.

If you report your vehicle as a suspended vehicle in your Form 2290, and the vehicle exceeds the mileage limit within the tax year, you must file an amendment to report this information to the IRS. You must also pay the HVUT for the tax year, as your vehicle is no longer considered as a suspended vehicle, and is subjected to taxes.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File Your Form 2290 Online & Get Schedule 1 in minutes

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 234-6005